Website G.S. Gelato
G.S. Gelato & Desserts, Inc. is a wholesale manufacturer of authentic Italian gelato, sorbet, plant-based frozen desserts, and soft serve with national distribution in the foodservice and retail/grocery industries.
We are looking for a Research and Development Manager to join our team in Fort Walton Beach, FL. This position is the perfect long-term career opportunity for an organized individual working in the food industry who thrives in a fast-paced work environment and has a particular passion for creativity!
- 401k eligibility
- Health Insurance
- Supplemental insurance options
- Paid time off
- Holiday Pay
*Certain Eligibility requirements are required for the above benefits
- Assisting in generating new product ideas and recipes
- Modifying and improving existing recipes
- Monitoring the use of ingredients, including additives
- Ensure products meet guidelines and regulations, including specific compliance for certifications including OU Kosher, as well as Certified Vegan, USDA Organic, etc. (if required)
- Evaluating nutritional values and sensory attributes (color, flavor, texture)
- Designing processes for the production of recipes on a large scale
- Collaborating with other departments, including QA, sales, marketing, and production
- Ensuring strict hygiene and food safety standards are met
- Identifying and choosing products from suppliers
- Testing and examining samples
- Creating labels with ingredients, nutritional information, UPC barcodes, etc.
- Writing reports, reviewing microbiological results, analyzing data
- Source Raw Materials from prospective suppliers
- Keep an active database of all raw material paperwork once new raw material is approved; update any expired paperwork in the system
- Analyze the new raw materials in finished gelato to ensure that they will work for the customer; work with purchasing to bring in comparable raw materials to set up secondary suppliers
- Use customer feedback to source raw materials, or tweak formulations as needed
- Keep Nutracoster up to date by inputting new raw materials and updating old raw materials as replacements become available
- Create finished product specifications for customers
- Interview prospective new hires that can work in the R&D lab
- Ensure proper sourcing of ingredients for formula-specific formulations (dairy free, vegan, etc)
- Actively & independently pursuing new information in regards to innovation, R&D, trends, regulations, ingredients, flavors, nutrition, etc.
- Coordinate with programs to certify formulations (for example: Non-GMO, Vegan, Organic, etc)
- Ensure that proper documentation is in place for the following finished product labeling (For example; allergens, Kosher, Non-GMO)
- Keep up to date with the FDA, USDA, labeling laws to ensure we are following the proper guidelines
- Also responsible for keeping up with certain portals for customers who request that we input our specs and nutritionals into their systems
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Computer literacy, strong skills using MS Word, Excel
- A level of creativity, and passion for advancement and innovation
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ability to solve problems
- Must have a relevant degree or experience in food science/technology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, nutrition, microbiology and/or research & development
- Must be willing to relocate if currently outside Fort Walton Beach, FL or surrounding areas
Starting at $65,000. Depends on experience.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the email address provided below.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com